Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Birds and Worms and Fur

I think I need to do some more research on Lamb's Ears. For some reason, mine are just sitting there looking soggy. Too much water? I know they don't like water on their leaves because of the fur. Is that the technical name? Fur? I'll have to check that, too. But they don't look too happy.

Yesterday I put out a bird feeder near the garden and a bat box in the back yard hanging on a tall tree. I know if bats eventually come that they will benefit the garden by eating "bad" bugs as well as mosquitoes. But I'm not so sure about the bird feeder. So far, the only customer seems to be a well-fed chipmunk, who is very cute. But no birds. I also wonder if birds are really something I should try to attract to a garden where I am trying to grow things. It's possible they might eat the berries (my blueberries, blackberries and strawberries that are looking good) or some other plant that is on the bird menu. Lots of robins hopping around my lawn, which I'm interpreting as a good thing in that it shows I have a lot of worms underground and, ergo, a healthy, aerated lawn. Right?

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites

Canna Opening

Canna Opening

Injuries Sustained Thus Far in the Garden

  • Abrasions
  • Back spasm
  • Bruises
  • Chased by bees
  • Cuts
  • Dog poop on bare foot (what was the dog doing there???)
  • Faceful of mulch
  • Fertilizer assault
  • Mulch wedged under figernails a la Viet Cong
  • Pulled muscle
  • Scratches on face
  • Shin bruise
  • Thorn holes in fingers (from hated roses)
  • Trashcan attack
  • Wrist issues from crappy trowel
Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

tree

tree
by Kate