Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wretched Beautiful Pain

This gardening gig is starting to get a little dangerous. After several weeks of limping around with a painful shin bone, I think I've finally figured out that, NO, I don't have cancer. I'm pretty sure I bruised my bone.

In the garden.

Of course.

And it hurts like a bitch.

I was crawling over the bricks which line my garden and hit down hard on my shin. Since then, I've smacked it pretty good a few more times. I'm surprised that I don't have bone chips floating around; I remember when I was little, my dad would threaten me when I refused to get a splinter out: "If you don't get it out, it will get into your bloodstream, go to your heart and pop it!" Little five-year-old me really believed that a 1/16 inch shard of wood could actually POP my heart and so, I was more amenable to having a flaming hot needle jammed into my skin. (for reasons still unknown to me, my dad always 'purified' the needle by burning it instead of simply washing it in alcohol). Now I'm wondering if bone chips can come out and float around in your blood...sound like a Google.

Everything about gardening seems to tempt injury. At least for me. Just getting to the hose in the front garden is bad enough. The hose is surrounded by huge rose bushes and so it's like the hose has developed its own defense mechanism; of course the spigot has to be located underneath the giant monster roses (which, by the way, are up to the roof of the house). I'm actually a little bit afraid of the roses...

Do other people sustain these types of injuries while gardening? Falling into the trash can (from an earlier post), constantly slamming arms and legs on bricks, falling face first into mulch and worm poop. Well, that last one isn't really an injury, only to my pride. Maybe I'm in too much of a hurry or maybe I need to be more methodical. How did I become so clumsy?

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites

Canna Opening

Canna Opening

Injuries Sustained Thus Far in the Garden

  • Abrasions
  • Back spasm
  • Bruises
  • Chased by bees
  • Cuts
  • Dog poop on bare foot (what was the dog doing there???)
  • Faceful of mulch
  • Fertilizer assault
  • Mulch wedged under figernails a la Viet Cong
  • Pulled muscle
  • Scratches on face
  • Shin bruise
  • Thorn holes in fingers (from hated roses)
  • Trashcan attack
  • Wrist issues from crappy trowel
Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

tree

tree
by Kate