Wednesday, April 21, 2010

April Showers

April showers bring May flowers
But what do Mayflowers bring?
Pilgrims.

This is my kids' joke that they giggle out over and over on their way out the door to school this morning. My daughter dons her rain boots which have ladybugs on them. My son thinks that high top Converse All-Stars double for boots, which they don't, but he's an adolescent so I'll let it slide. There is something sweet and slightly adventurous when you're a child in preparing to head out into a light spring rain. It's different from preparing to go out into a fall storm. The chill is light and there is a warm embrace of newly green leaves.

For myself, I am enjoying a warm cup of coffee and the view of my perennial garden outside the window where I write. The colors are vibrant especially against the backdrop of the rain. Something about the gray sky and the water makes all the colors stand out.

The sage bush is ready to explode into flowers. The scent of the sage when the sun is warm is intoxicating. Interestingly enough, sage, if ingested in large quantity, is a powerful hallucinogen. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

I don't have to work today and I was feeling eager to get outside and put my vegetable seedlings in the ground. The rain will keep me from doing that, but it will make my job easier tomorrow. The ground will still hopefully be damp and make the planting faster and better in general for the seedlings. So far, I have cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, carrots, lima beans and pole beans. As always, an experiment.

For now, I'm happy to sit and listen to the rain fall.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites

Canna Opening

Canna Opening

Injuries Sustained Thus Far in the Garden

  • Abrasions
  • Back spasm
  • Bruises
  • Chased by bees
  • Cuts
  • Dog poop on bare foot (what was the dog doing there???)
  • Faceful of mulch
  • Fertilizer assault
  • Mulch wedged under figernails a la Viet Cong
  • Pulled muscle
  • Scratches on face
  • Shin bruise
  • Thorn holes in fingers (from hated roses)
  • Trashcan attack
  • Wrist issues from crappy trowel
Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

tree

tree
by Kate